department (plural: departments)
- A part, portion, or subdivision.
- A distinct course of life, action, study, or the like; appointed sphere or walk; province.
- Superior to Pope in Pope"s own peculiar department of literature. Macaulay.
- Subdivision of business or official duty; especially, one of the principal divisions of executive government; as, the treasury department; the war department; also, in a university, one of the divisions of instructions; as, the medical department; the department of physics.
- A territorial division; a district; esp., in France, one of the districts composed of several arrondissements into which the country is divided for governmental purposes; as, the Department of the Loire.
- A military subdivision of a country; as, the Department of the Potomac.
- (Obsolete) Act of departing; departure.
- Sudden departments from one extreme to another. Wotton.
10 letters in word "department": A D E E M N P R T T.
No anagrams for department found in this word list.